Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Food Substitutions: Eggs

If you're anything like me, you're probably very conscious of your friends' allergies or dietary decisions. For me, a large number of my closest friends are vegans. While I can't accommodate them with everything, I do try to learn about a few basics on substituting so that they can occasionally eat what I cook. Naturally, when a friend of mine gave me a hint on substituting eggs, I jumped at the idea of sharing it with others who are in my position.

Come to find out, flax seeds are a very good substitute for eggs, particularly in baking. I personally love flax seeds for their texture and that they're a very good source of omega 3 fatty acids, which are crucial for creating the amino acids responsible for the coating around our nerve cells. Because I don't eat a lot of fish that are rich in these fatty acids for ecological reasons (I try to limit my intake of salmon to once or twice a year), I will occasionally keep flax around for topping oatmeal in the winter and granola in the summer.

While flax may seem like an odd way of substituting eggs, let me clarify: you soak the flax in water until it's slimy like an egg. I don't remember the volume of a large egg, which is most often used in baking, so I will see about measuring an egg in a measuring cup to give you the exact volume you'll want when doing this substitution and update this post once I do so. If you already know the volume, please feel free to mention me in the comments and I'll be sure to mention you when I update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment