Friday, March 15, 2013

Splurge Night: Toad in the Hole

So I'm always looking for a new flavor or texture to liven up the drudgery of our ordinary menus. Needless to say, when I came across this English favorite, I had to give it a shot.

First quarter two onions. Add six Irish bangers and the onion to a baking dish; toss to coat with a Tablespoon of safflower oil. Place the baking dish in a 475 degree oven and lightly brown the bangers and onions, turning once.

While the bangers are cooking, combine 2/3 cup of flour with a teaspoon of salt. In another bowl, combine one and one quarter cups milk with two eggs. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Pour this into the baking dish with the bangers and cook until the eggs are puffed and set, about half an hour.

Will and I both loved it. The flavor was nice, and the bangers browned up beautifully! I will have to learn to make my own bangers, because these have such a lovely flavor and Trader Joe's only carries these in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment