Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches: Quick, Easy Use of Leftovers

I made this before we went on vacation and decided to post it now because I forgot to due to packing.
As I've mentioned before, Will and I cannot eat an entire pork chop by ourselves. I've taken to trying to find a solution for the leftovers, and this one is by far the best. What I do is, I take my leftover chops, put them in a bowl, and pull the meat apart with two forks. If the meat is too tough to pull, I let it sit in my marinade, which will be below, and then pull it after a day in the marinade.
I mix together a bit of oil, preferably not olive; molasses, soy sauce, ginger, and a small can of unsweetened pineapple juice. I let my meat sit in this mixture in my refrigerator for at least a day, depending on how tough my meat is.
Once I deem it tender enough, I make sandwiches with it. I get my griddle good and hot, assemble my sandwiches, and get to grilling them. I like to use Swiss cheese and sourdough bread, but any combination will do. I use a panini press that is similar to the George Foreman grill in that it removes a lot of excess fat, although these don't tend to be really fatty unless Will makes them.
I  have done this for nearly two years and not only does it help us to get every penny out of our meat purchases, it also is a quick meal for when we're on the go.

No comments:

Post a Comment