Monday, July 2, 2012

Cottage Pie: Surprisingly Delicious

I normally don't like cottage pie or shepherd's pie, but I figured I'd give this recipe a shot. I wasn't disappointed.
First off, because I'm American and most Americans refer to a meat pie consisting of ground meat mixed with peas under a mashed potato crust a shepherd's pie, I need to make a clarification for my small American audience. A cottage pie is when the ground meat is beef; a shepherd's pie is when the meat is lamb. We just kind of got mixed up since we as Americans don't tend to eat a whole lot of lamb. In fact it only recently became readily available to most Americans.
The directions are pretty simple. While you boil your cubed potatoes, brown your ground beef. Then add sliced mushrooms, garlic, carrots, and onions and cook until tender. Then add Heinz baked beans, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, tobasco sauce as well as some water and let everything come up; season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, drain your potatoes and stick them in a bowl. Add butter and blend together, and add milk and blend. Pour the bean and beef mixture into a baking dish, top with mashed potatoes and then top the potatoes with grated cheddar cheese. Bake in a four hundred degree oven for thirty-five to forty minutes or until everything is hot and bubbly.
The reason you add the butter to the potatoes before adding the milk is to keep the potatoes from getting lumpy. If you add the milk while the potatoes are too hot, you won't get the whipped texture that you want. By adding the butter beforehand and blending it into the potatoes, you are also adding in air, thus aiding in the cooling process.
Will and I enjoyed it, although I forgot to add salt to it, so it was a little bland for my taste at first. I will say, though, that it gets better when it sits in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment