Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rosemary-Thyme Pork Chops: Pretty Good For an on the Fly Recipe

I had bone-in pork chops and cherries. I knew I wanted to serve cold cherry soup, and I know pork goes well with cherries, so I tried to figure out a recipe I could use that would compliment both the pork and the soup.
I had some really sweet wine that we got when one of my friends visited me. We're talking really sweet, like one step above Arbor Mist. Pretty much all I do with this wine is use it to make Italian sausage. I figured, I want to go with something sweet, yet rich, so I used it as a base. Then I added some rosemary, thyme, and salt and pepper. While I let that marinate, I got to work pitting my cherries for the soup. Let me tell you, if you ever need to pit more that half a pound of cherries, get someone to help you. Pitting two pounds of the stuff took forever.
Once I was nearly finished pitting my cherries, I asked Will to go fire up the grill for me, and to wash and put out some potatoes so we could bake them and they would be fully cooked by the time the meat is done.
For the cherry soup, I added four cups of water to the pitted cherries, as well as a quarter cup of New Mexico alfalfa honey I got from a little honey producer outside of Socorro called Bee Chama and a little bit of amaretto. I brought this mixture to a boil and left it simmer for fifteen minutes. While that simmered, I put my chops on the grill. By the time the soup had finished simmering, the chops and potatoes were ready. I used my immersion blender to blend my soup, added a bit of lemon juice, and stuck it in the fridge to chill. Since obviously it wasn't ready to serve with dinner, I served it for dessert instead.
Will and I liked it, but no where near as well as we liked the sesame crusted soy ginger pork chops I made last time. I will be making Hawaiian pulled pork sandwiches in the next night or so as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment