Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Huevos con Chorizo y Papas: Not as Bad For You as it Sounds

I know what you're thinking: chorizo is really fatty, so how could it be anything but bad for you? The trick is, if you want a leaner meat, go with chorizo made from really lean pork butt, chicken, or really lean beef. The place I get my chorizo from makes theirs super lean. This time, the chorizo had very little grease in it at all.
This recipe is really easy. For those of you who are vegetarians or vegans, substitute the chorizo for spiced tofu and replace the eggs for either synthetic egg substitute or more tofu. All you do is lightly brown a pound of chorizo. Once it's browned, add four peeled and diced potatoes and one small diced onion. Cook this on medium heat until everything is cooked through. Then, using a spoon, make four gaps in the potato mixture. In each of those four spaces, crack one egg. Cook until set, about five minutes. If you like your eggs cooked well, go closer to ten minutes. Serve this with avocado.
I loved it. The eggs were wonderful. This was my first time doing sunnyside up, and I think it may be my new favorite way of cooking eggs. Will, on the other hand, had to hold back the urge to get sick when he tried the eggs. As it turns out, I thought I gave him the more well done of the eggs, but I didn't, and he doesn't like the texture of runny yolks. Next time, I will turn over the eggs for him so I know the yolks are super well cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment