Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tricolor Pulao: Easy Vegan Meal

As I've said before, I'm always looking for good vegetarian or vegan options. I was looking through recipes and found this one; after a bit of tweaking, I got it to where it would be palatable for Will and me. He said it's one of his new favorites and, better yet, I should make this often because it's one of the best meals I've ever cooked.
First, lightly fry half a cup of cashews in grapeseed oil. Once they're golden brown and aromatic, remove them from your skillet or wok and set them aside. In the same pan, toast about a teaspoon and a half of cumin seeds until they spark and then add four green cardamom pods, two bay leaves and a half teaspoon of ground cloves. Once that's aromatic, add one diced onion and cook it until browned.
Next, add twelve diced baby carrots to the pan and cook for four minutes. Add a cup of basmati rice, the fried cashews, and a half cup each of frozen peas and corn; mix this until combined and the rice is a bit toasted. Add two cups of water, two teaspoons of ground cumin, and salt to taste. Let this simmer until the rice is cooked through, take it off the heat, and let it sit ten minutes before serving.
As I mentioned, Will and I loved it. I also made a discovery about myself when I made this: I don't like cashews raw, but I love them fried. I accidentally bought too many, so I'm thinking of frying what's left and using them as a snack or a component of a snack mix. This is another dish where I generally always have the ingredients, so I will be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment