Thursday, April 12, 2012

Busy Times: A Recap on What I've Done

I apologize; while I'm not a Christian, my family is, so Easter is a little hectic for me. In lieu of not posting, I will give you a recap of what I've made over the last few days.

I made coconut milk chicken. The recipe is rather simple; all it is is onion that has been cooked in oil with tomato paste that you simmer your chicken is. You then make a slurry with arrowroot and coconut milk, bring it to a boil, and pour the sauce over rice. I served it with cauliflower. You may be asking why I use arrowroot. Why not cornstarch? I use arrowroot because it means I get a more authentic vibe and it doesn't clump like cornstarch.

The next night I made finadene chicken. Again, you're probably asking what finadene is. It's a traditional Chamorro sauce made with lemon juice or vinegar, soy sauce, onion, and jalapenos. Usually I put the jalapenos in it, but I didn't have any this time, so we had to do without. To compensate for the lack of pepper in the chicken, I added chili powder to the vegetables.

After that, I made a carrot casserole. This is a dish I like to make when I have a lot of leftover rice, and boy, did I have a lot of leftover rice. It, too, is pretty simple; as long as you have leftover rice, carrots, 2 eggs, salt, milk and breadcrumbs you're set. Normally I mix melted butter into my breadcrumbs, but I didn't have enough butter to do that, so we did without.

Last night, we did vegetarian burritos. Will made his doctored refried beans; I don't know how he does it, but he makes canned refried beans taste good. I used some of the leftover rice. We then added salsa and shredded cheddar cheese. It was not great, but a decent thrown together meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment