Monday, April 16, 2012

Turkey Gumbo With Salad: Awesome Dinner

I had some frozen gumbo left over from Thanksgiving, so I decided it had sat in my freezer taking up space long enough and reheated it. This is considered one of my best recipes as well as my easiest to make.
All you need is a turkey carcass with most of the meat scraped off the bones, water, and mire poix vegetables. What are those, you say? Carrots, celery, and onions; you want to have a third as much carrots as you do celery and onions. You bring this mixture up to a simmer for at least two hours, but the longer you simmer it, the better the flavor. In the last hour, you want to add a sachet d'epice. This should consist of such herbs and spices as rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, and black pepper. To make a sachet d'epice, you need to take some cheesecloth or tea ball strainer; if you are using the cheesecloth, you want to place your spices in the center and then fold the corners and tie it all together with kitchen twine. In any case, you stick your sachet d'epice in for the last hour.
You're probably wondering why I tell you to put the spices in only during the last hour. Herbs and spices add a wonderful flavor if used correctly; however, if they are left in too long, they get really bitter, so be careful.
Once your stock has simmered for the desired time, you can either strain it, discarding the carcass, or fish the bones out, if you don't have another large stock pot. I prefer to fish the bones out because who in there right mind has two large stock pots?
Next, you return your stock to the pot, add the desired vegetables and the meat. I usually use turkey, corn, green beans, okra, and carrots, but you can use anything you want. Traditionally, gumbo has andouille sausage in it, but the reason I don't use it is I have a hard time digesting pork. Also, if you are using okra, be sure you only add it right before serving; if you cook okra too long, it gets really slimy and slimy is not palatable. I also cook rice in with my soup. Season your soup to taste and voila! You spent all day, but it's totally worth it.
As I mentioned earlier in this post, we also had salad. I needed Romaine lettuce for the taco salad, and I realized that one thing Will does a lot is complain that I don't serve enough vegetables with my meat meals, so I got three hearts of Romaine. I didn't have any lemons to make my vinaigrette, so I used grapefruit juice because I did have ripe grapefruits. It turned out pretty darn well, for my first shot at making vinaigrette from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment