Saturday, September 8, 2012

Barbecue Chicken: Easy and Tasty

I had some leftover homemade barbecue sauce in my freezer, and thought, 'why not use it to make barbecue chicken?' While the sauce takes a bit of extra work, it's totally worth it, and freezes really well.
First, make the sauce. This will make a large amount of sauce, so marinate your meat in some of it and freeze the rest for later use. Start by sweating 8 ounces of diced onion and 1 ounce of chopped garlic in 1 ounce of oil until tender. Sweating is a process that means you're keeping it at low heat so that nothing browns but the flavor is still extracted from the foods you're sweating. Once everything's nice and tender, add 6 ounces red wine, an ounce of brown sugar, 2 ounces agave nectar, 8 ounces beef stock, 10 ounces ketchup, 1 ounce dry mustard, a spoonful of apricot preserves, and salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste, and simmer for half an hour.
Then, baste or marinate your chicken according to what you typically do; each person does it a little differently, so I won't interfere with that. Finally, stick it on a hot grill and grill, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through.
I served this with instant mashed potatoes and broccoli. I really don't like to use instant anything, but I only had one potato left, Will doesn't like rice with his barbecue, and we had this packet that my mother in-law brought over while I was sick, so we dealt with it.
Will loves this barbecue sauce, and I like that I know everything that's in it and can get an amazing recipe out of it in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment