Saturday, September 15, 2012

Beans: Not As Difficult As You Think

I finally remembered to soak my beans and cooked them. This is one of the first times I've made them, and I have to say they didn't turn out half bad.
First, rinse, soak, and make sure you don't have any stones in among your beans. Next, just barely cover them with water, add a diced onion, some garlic powder, and some ground thyme; boil this mixture for three hours, stirring occasionally while also making sure the beans remain covered with water, until the beans are tender. If you want to add meat to your beans, add a couple ham hocks or, better yet, a smoked turkey leg, when you add the onion and spices to the beans. This time, I made it completely vegetarian, but to each his own.
This made a great accompaniment to leftover chilaquiles, and I plan on freezing the leftovers to use in soups, stews, and sides. All in all, it was a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment