Saturday, September 1, 2012

Okra in Yogurt Sauce: Tasty and Quick

Last night I needed to make something vegetarian since my meat hasn't finished defrosting yet. I haven't yet made my vegetable stock, so I didn't want to make carrot casserole until after I did that. Thus, I had two Indian dishes I could have made. I showed Will the two dishes I had planned and he picked this one. I was pleasantly surprised on the flavor, and will definitely be growing okra next year just to make this dish again.
Heat some grapeseed oil or, if you're feeling more authentic, clarified butter. You can either get this premade at a well-stocked grocery store or make it yourself by melting butter and skimming off all the cloudy materials to make a clear substance. In doing so you raise the smoke point because you have pure fat instead of the milk solids and water that is in whole butter. Add one thinly sliced onion and two or three diced green chilies. Cook this until the onions are golden and add two teaspoons of shredded coconut, stirring constantly. Then add sliced fresh or frozen okra and cook until golden brown. Finally, add a Tablespoon of plain yogurt and two quartered tomatoes; cook until everything's warmed through. Serve it over rice.
I undercooked the rice slightly, but the okra turned out fantastic. Will and I agreed this is something worth making again. Also, just for a note, this does not reheat well so don't make extra with the intent of reheating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment