Friday, August 31, 2012

Risotto Milanese: Easy, But High Maintenance

I had some extra mushrooms and decided to make my almost famous mushroom risotto Milanese. Sadly, while I was sick, my mushrooms had gone bad, so I ended up making my risotto without them. Usually I make this as a side dish with my coffee molasses pork chops, but because I'm not feeling well, I decided this would do nicely as a plain main course.
First, melt some butter and cook a diced onion in it until the onion is translucent. Add a cup of arborio rice and toss to coat in the butter; do not let it brown. Then, add a bit of dry white wine; I prefer sauvignon blanc, but this time I used chardonnay. Once the rice has soaked it up, add a saffron tea made from saffron soaked in hot water. Once the rice soaks that up, slowly add about a quart of chicken stock to your rice; once one portion of stock is soaked up, add another portion. Stir this mixture frequently, or you will end up with a scorched sticky mess in your pan. Once all the stock is soaked up (this should take about fifteen to twenty minutes, sometimes as little as ten), add some Parmesan cheese and a bit of butter, stir your risotto well, and voila! You have a risotto that people will die to try.
Will, as usual, loved it, but he did miss the extra flavor the mushrooms impart on this dish. Although I didn't add much to mine, don't feel limited by your ingredients; you can easily dress this up and add anything. Add Romano and Gorgonzola cheeses to make an unforgettable three cheese risotto, or add asparagus to it to add some color and rich flavor. I've even heard of adding shrimp along with the Parmesan and butter; the only problem with that is, be careful with when you put them in because nobody likes rubbery seafood.

No comments:

Post a Comment