Thursday, August 16, 2012

Splurge Night: Blue Cheese Pasta

This was supposed to contain walnuts, but when I went to open the bag so I could measure out a cup of them, two flour moths flew out! I managed to kill one, but the other got in between the wall and my cupboard in such a way that I couldn't kill it. Hopefully it wasn't female and the two moths didn't mate, otherwise I'll have a serious crisis on my hands and will be even angrier than I was last night. Luckily we called the grocery store and let them know they had contaminated food, and they told us to return it in the next few days. What irks me is, this is a supermarket I've gone to and bought pasta from before and they are very clean. Perhaps it was the factory where the nuts were packaged that were lax, since they produce both organic and non organic nuts, and with organic products, you can't apply the same sanitation practices on packaging as you can nonorganic products. This is why I believe that some products such as grains and starches should not be sold organic; if you have to stick it in a plastic bag, it's likely to be contaminated and thus is not safe to eat.
I brought a pan of salted water to a boil and cook some penne pasta according to the package directions. Meanwhile, I melted a little bit of butter and added some diced shallots to it. Once they were browned I added some brandy to them; I used Grand Marnier, but any will do. Then I added a cup of cream and seven ounces of crumbled gorgonzola and let it cook til the cheese had melted and the sauce was thickened. I then added some frozen spinach and heated it through. I then poured my sauce over my pasta.
Will loved it; in fact, he went up for three helpings. I really liked it, although I was still pretty angry about the lack of walnuts, so I was kind of just eating without really thinking critically of what it was that I was eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment