Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gyoza: Difficult to Make, Tasty as Hell

I haven't made gyoza in a long time, which explains the lack of a photograph; my gyoza stayed together, but were not very pretty looking. Here is a pretty comprehensive way of making them.
First, make the filling. Take ground pork (if you're vegan/vegetarian, use cabbage, celery, and carrots), cabbage (this time I forgot to add it, but I usually do), green onions, powdered ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce, and Vietnamese fish sauce (if you can't find fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce is comparable). Mix all this together until everything is coated evenly.
Take your wonton or gyoza wrappers and cover them with a damp cloth. Keep a small bowl of water nearby. Working quickly, take out one wrapper and place a small amount of meat in the center; fold the wrapper so it resembles a purse, and seal the edges with fingers that were dipped into the cup of water. Set these on a plate and repeat until all your meat is gone.
Heat some oil on medium heat and add your gyoza in a small batch. Brown the outside. Then pour some water into the pan, cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Once the water evaporates, take the gyoza out and repeat the process with the raw gyoza until everything is cooked.
While you're doing that, make some ponzu dipping sauce. Pour some soy sauce into small bowls for however many you're feeding and add powdered ginger and yuzu juice; I personally can't find any yuzu in my supermarket, so I used lime juice instead. Mix it well. Serve the gyoza hot with a small bowl of ponzu.
Even though I forgot the cabbage, Will and I thoroughly enjoyed this meal. It may end up becoming one of my March stand-bys, since I tend to buy too much cabbage when I make corned beef and cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment