Saturday, August 4, 2012

Cream of Potato and Sauerkraut Soup: Simple, Effective, and Tasty Use of Leftovers

I know this sounds pretty gross, but in application it is pretty tasty. As I have mentioned before, I am a real stickler when it comes to using leftovers. I had leftover mashed potatoes, so I knew immediately that I wanted to make cream of potato soup, which is an easy Finnish recipe I had picked up on a couple years ago. I also had some sauerkraut left over from when I made hot dogs and decided, why not combine the two and put my own twist on the traditional recipe?
The traditional recipe is pretty straightforward. First, you take about two cups of leftover mashed potatoes and mix them with about two and a half cups of milk, whisking to eliminate as many lumps as possible. Once you do that, slowly whisk in about a cup of half and half; this time I didn't have any half and half, so I made my own using some whipped cream and milk. Then you put it into a pan, if you haven't already, and heat it on medium heat, whisking constantly, until it's slightly thickened and bubbly. Then you add allspice and salt and pepper to taste. Then you put some soup into mugs and top the soup with a half teaspoon of butter. The variation I made was adding the sauerkraut just before it gets to the point of boiling. I also didn't add any butter when serving because, well, it's fatty enough without adding more.
Will wasn't home to try it, since he had to work late, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The sauerkraut added a nice zing to it without overpowering the potato flavor. And for those of you who are vegan, all you have to do to make this work for you is use mashed potatoes that have been made with dairy alternatives and instead of milk and half and half, use a soy milk of any other dairy alternative.
UPDATE: Will tried it yesterday for lunch. He enjoyed it as well and wants me to make it again. Perhaps on nights when I have leftover sauerkraut and not enough carrots to make carrot casserole I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment