Thursday, August 23, 2012

Matzo Ball Soup: Easy, Delicious Comfort Food

My husband and I have colds, so I decided to make something that wouldn't tire me out, but would soothe our sore throats. This did just that.
First, prepare your matzo balls. Take two matzos and either crush them, put them into the blender, or pulse in the food processor. I was a bit woozy, so I opted for the safest method and crushed them with a meat tenderizer. Next, beat together two eggs, two tablespoons chicken stock, and two tablespoons of either chicken fat or grapeseed oil. Add your crushed matzos and pepper to taste; mix until just combined. Let that sit while you bring two quarts of chicken stock to a boil; reduce to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper. Then moisten your hands, bring the bowl containing the matzo ball batter to the pan of simmering stock, and roll your matzo balls, dunking them into the pan of hot broth. Make sure to keep your hands nice and moist. Once the matzo balls are tender, serve the soup nice and hot.
Will and I both loved it. He even asked me if I had enough eggs to make more while we're still fighting it off, which mean he may want it again later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment