Friday, October 5, 2012

Chicken Piccata: Made It With a Twist On the Fly

I made chicken piccata last night; unfortunately, I didn't realize I didn't have enough ingredients, so I had to improvise the wine sauce. Despite those setbacks, it all worked out and was tasty.
First, pound your chicken breasts to about half inch thickness; to do this without destroying your meat, wrap it in cellophane and then go to town pounding it out. Then, stick them in a plastic bag with a quarter cup of flour spiced with salt and pepper to taste and shake the bag to coat the chicken. Meanwhile, melt some butter on medium heat and add the chicken to the pan; brown the breasts. Add some white wine; I didn't have enough white wine and so had to use a bit of red as well; bring this mixture to a boil and let it simmer twelve minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add a bit of lemon juice; I didn't have any lemon, but I did have some dried lemon zest for when I make houska, so that worked well, and serve your the chicken.
While my chicken was tasty, the star of the show was a frozen mushroom risotto from Trader Joe's that I wound up doctoring using saffron, cream, milk, Italian seasoning, and provolone and Parmesan cheeses. I also served this with carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment