Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bangers and Mash: My British Ancestors are Rolling in Their Graves

Usually we don't eat meat two days in a row, but we did last night because I needed mashed potatoes for tonight's dinner.
Usually, bangers and mash is just how it sounds: fried sausages with mashed potatoes mixed in. I can't take credit for making the bangers, since I got them from Trader Joe's. Normally I make my own sausage, but it is often very difficult to find hog casings. You can pretty much only find them if you have a good butcher in town.
Now for the reason my British ancestors are either rolling in their graves, weeping in sorrow of my gauche serving of this dish, or cursing my very existence. For one, I grilled the bangers instead of frying them. Bangers are fatty even by the standards for sausage, so I prefer to grill them, plus we have a smoker box that we keep mesquite wood chips in that add fantastic flavor. For another, I didn't mix the bangers into the mash. As I said, I needed the mash for tonight's dinner, so I didn't want to mix the bangers in with the mash. Finally, I served vegetables with my bangers and mash; traditionally, one would only eat bangers and mash.

No comments:

Post a Comment