Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Splurge Day: Ruebens With Tri Colored Pasta

Like a lot of Americans, I made corned beef and cabbage for Saint Patrick's day. The only problem cooking it for two is, you wind up with a ton of leftovers no matter how small a brisket you select. So, not too long after having corned beef and cabbage, I refrigerate both ingredients at least overnight.
To help cut down on the fat, I use minimal butter; quite frankly, a little goes a very long way. I also remove the fat from the top of the corned beef; you can always freeze this and use it to bard leaner beef to prevent drying out, and that way you get a bit more bang for your buck.
I then use swiss cheese and Bavarian style sauerkraut because thanks to caraway seeds, it lends a stronger flavor.
Rye bread is important in this particular recipe. You want a soft rye like a New York style because it's a little easier to chew. Don't get me wrong; I really like a nice crusty German rye, it's just that it can get too crispy too easily.
As a finish, I made one of Will's favorite sides: tri colored pasta in a butter-seasoned salt sauce. For those of you who have never tried using seasoned salt, give it a shot; it salts but also has garlic and paprika. I personally get it in bulk from Penzey's so I don't wind up having to get a new jar every time I run out, but Lawry's makes a great one that most people will be able to find at their local supermarket.
Just remember: ruebens, like corned beef and cabbage, are definitely in the splurge meal category. They are often quite greasy, so unless you're a marathon runner who needs more than 2500 calories or a ranch hand on their feet for twelve hours, don't do it very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment