Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bubble and Squeak: Tasty Way of Using Leftover Cabbage

Unfortunately I don't have a picture for you today. My camera phone decided I can't email the picture to myself like I normally do because the picture evidently cannot be sent due to the file size exceeding the size necessary to send.
Anyway, I believe my spleen has had enough draining; onto last night's dinner. Usually bubble and squeak is fried in butter or vegetable oil. I really don't like to use vegetable oil, and I pretty much only use butter when absolutely necessary, so I went with my high heat standby: grapeseed oil.
Most celebrity chefs are telling you to consume lots of olive oil; I just find a few troubles with it. One, it has a very strong flavor, so it's not suitable for every dish. Two, it is very expensive, so if you use it in everything, your food bill can easily go sky high. Three, it has a low smoke point, so you risk burning your food if you don't carefully monitor your heat.
Some of you may be thinking, "Heather, why grapeseed oil? Why do you use that over any other oil?" Well, here's my explanation. For one, it has a light flavor and a high smoke point, so it's great for pan frying and sauteeing. For another, it's the cheapest oil at around four dollars for 24 fluid ounces and browns as well as butter. It also doesn't hurt that it's very high in Vitamin E, a fat soluble vitamin that promotes healthier skin and hair.
The cabbage softened up and complemented the potatoes quite nicely. Even better, it reheats well, so Will can easily take it to work with him, if he remembers to.

No comments:

Post a Comment