Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pork Chops with Mushrooms: Improvements Need to be Made

I decided to take a risk and cook this recipe. I made a minor mistake. For one, I didn't like the fact that there was such a strong orange flavor that I couldn't tell if the wine in the sauce had cooked out. Will, on the other hand, loved it. Normally I take the meat that we don't eat and make it into pulled pork since Will doesn't cut his meat to get all of it off the bones, but since it was so strongly flavored, I didn't save the meat left over on Will's plate.
We agreed the mashed potatoes I made were perfect; usually Will complains that I make the mashed potatoes too lumpy, so I now know that a hand mixer works wonders.
When I make my mashed potatoes to get them lump free, I mix in the butter to help get the potatoes down in temperature; as most experienced cooks will tell you, if you add milk and sour cream to your potatoes while they are hot they won't come out as nicely. For a lower fat but slightly more expensive way of making mashed potatoes I add Greek yogurt. I prefer to use Fage total 2% because it is comparable in taste and consistency to sour cream, but any will suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment