Saturday, May 19, 2012

Eggplant and Rigatoni with Pesto: Not a Bad Recipe

This was a great recipe, just not an extremely good choice for summer unless you like to have the oven on for half an hour while making it. The recipe involves roasting onion and eggplant, which isn't so bad and is quite tasty, but heats up the house because to do it, you have to roast them at 425 degrees fahrenheit.
I made my own pesto for the first time. I forgot how simple it really is. All you need to do is combine fresh basil leaves, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and nuts. To cut back on the price, I use pistachios instead of pine nuts; it doesn't help that Will despises pine nuts. To add a twist on the traditional pesto, I omitted the garlic and added a bit of sun-dried tomato to the mix.
All in all, it was a decent recipe. The eggplant skin was super tough, so that made it challenging to cut. The recipe called to slice the eggplant, but it was really hard to eat that way. Next time I am going to dice it instead.
Because it was almost all carb, I served it with a salad made with Romaine lettuce, fresh spinach, and diced tomato and Woodstock dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment