Friday, May 18, 2012

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms: Delicious

Last night I made portobello mushrooms with tomatoes and cheese. The best part? It was cooked on the grill, not inside the house.
I was surprised at the simplicity. All you do is make a Balsamic vinaigrette by mixing four parts olive oil to two parts Balsamic vinegar, add one clove pressed garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. You then put that into the mushrooms, which are gill side up, and swirl it around to coat the gills evenly.
Then you make the cheese stuffing. The recipe I used called for whole milk ricotta cheese, but I accidentally picked up part-skim. Thankfully it worked fine, so it's easier to slim it down. You mix the ricotta, some fresh basil, and Parmesan cheese together; add salt and pepper to taste.
Grill the mushrooms gill side down for three to five minutes then take the mushrooms off the grill gill side up. Then you put a slice of tomato, followed by the cheese stuffing, and then you put some slices of Fontina cheese and a little more Parmesan on top. Return them to the grill and cook another five minutes.
I served this with a salad. I had some salad left over from the night before, so I added some fresh tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and pistachios to the salad.
Will loved the mushrooms, and was pleased with the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment