Thursday, May 17, 2012

Orzo with Eggplant and Spinach: Keeps Will Coming Back For More

This is one of the best things I make, bar none. It's also one of my original recipes. The first time I made it, I was a little scared because it was my first time cooking with eggplant that wasn't in moussaka or eggplant parmigiana. I was quite shocked that it came together as well as it did.
It's really pretty simple. While you cook the orzo until it's al dente, heat some extra virgin olive oil in a pan on medium. Add 1 eggplant that's been cut into bite size pieces, and add seasoned salt to taste. Eggplant does absorb a lot of oil, so don't be afraid of adding a lot of it, since this will be your sauce. Once it's browned and not quite tender, add fresh spinach and cook until wilted. Put the orzo in a bowl, add the eggplant mixture and toss to coat.
I served this with a salad of Romaine lettuce, sundried tomatoes, and fresh spinach. I didn't make my own dressing, but used Annie's brand Woodstock dressing. It really complemented the heady flavors of the pasta.
Will liked everything really well, even the salad dressing. His only complaint? He added too much dressing.

In other news, I have a couple announcements. First, the reason it has been a couple days since I mentioned anything I cooked was because I had to go to a friend's graduation in New Mexico. I left my house in the care of a friend, and am never doing that again. He killed off my rose bush, didn't clean his soiled dishes, and spent an average of fourteen hours on my Wii. Needless to say, I'm very angry.

On a happier note, the friend that graduated last weekend suggested I do a sort of food forensics blog where you mention a traditional food that you don't know the country of origin and I do the research to help you figure out the origin and thus a little bit of family history. If anyone is interested in my doing that, please comment and I will engineer a sister blog to this one and get posts going.

No comments:

Post a Comment