Sunday, June 17, 2012

Chicken Fajitas: Cheap and Easy

I made chicken fajitas on Thursday night. This is one of the easiest recipes in my arsenal of recipes. All you need are chicken breasts or tenders; I prefer tenders because they tend to be a bit cheaper, but breasts are fine, too; bell peppers of two different colors; and onions. Typically, you use red and green bell peppers, but I don't like the way green bell peppers taste, so I use red and yellow.
For the chicken, just slice it up and season it with chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Add it to the pan with your sliced bell peppers and onion and cook until it's all cooked through.
All you need to do is serve it with flour tortillas. This is also incredibly easy to make it vegetarian or vegan. All you need to do is either swap the chicken for tofu or remove the chicken and add another colored pepper to the mix and to make sure you use lard free tortillas (I'm from the southwest, so out here it's really easy to find tortillas still made with lard, but there are also ways of finding ones made with vegetable shortening if you know where to go).
Will loves this recipe, especially since I make sure it's still sizzling when I serve it. This recipe is best made on cast iron, but anything will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment