Sunday, June 24, 2012

Falafel: Tasty and Simple

We had my youngest sister over, and I had to make something that would be tasty but that we would have enough of to go around. This isn't really quick, but anyone can do it.
First, you grind up a pound of canned garbanzo beans. I prefer to use canned rather than cook my own because they smell awful when you cook them. Then you add coriander, paprika, three cloves of garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper, and process until combined. Then you add 2/3 cup of flour and 3 eggs, blend until it's just blended, and cover and chill for one hour.
Normally when you make falafel, you serve it in pita bread with iceberg lettuce and tomatoes. Iceberg has no flavor and no nutritional value save for hydration purposes, so I use spinach instead.
Usually, you fry the falafel using the swim method. However, if you want to spend a little extra time and far less fat, you can easily just pan fry them. Just make sure to use some form of high temperature oil like safflower or grapeseed.
Instead of white bread pita, I use whole wheat. I find it really complements the falafel.
As with every time I've made it before, Will loved it. My youngest sister, who has never had falafel, fell in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment