Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cream of Tomato Soup: Will's Favorite Meal

Will mentioned craving my cream of tomato soup, so I made sure to put it on our menu for the month so he could enjoy it in case my basil doesn't survive the winter. This meal is so cheap, about $3 for a meal that serves two if it's just the soup and four if it's served with sandwiches, that I made sure to buy enough ingredients for us to have it twice.
First, stick one can of diced roasted tomatoes in a blender with 8 oz of cream cheese, half a cup of 1% milk, and two handfuls of chopped basil. Season to taste with seasoned salt and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into a saucepan, scraping the sides of the pan. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until the soup is heated through.
If I had bread, I would have made grilled cheese and marmite sandwiches to go with this. I plan on making focaccia anyway, so I will likely make some sandwich bread as well, once I have my kitchen spotless again. I need to call a plumber before that happens, though, because our kitchen sink is so badly clogged that they don't make snakes long enough for domestic types to buy. Luckily we got most of our dishes done and our dishwasher has a pots and pans cycle. The soup, however, made up for that; Will had several helpings of it. Unfortunately he stress eats and his work has been more stressful than usual, so that explains his helpings.

No comments:

Post a Comment