Saturday, November 17, 2012

Stuffed Acorn Squash: Quick, Easy, and Autumnal

One of my favorite parts about autumn and winter are all the wonderful varieties of squash that come out. Last year, I experimented with butternut squash, so this year, I thought I'd try my hand with acorn squash. I was surprised at just how quick it was to prepare this meal.
First, cut two acorn squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and stringy bits; make sure to use a sharp French or chef knife otherwise you risk cutting yourself. Put them on a baking sheet, cut side down, and cover the sheet with about a half inch of water. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the squash is just tender. Meanwhile, make your stuffing by combining two chopped apples, a quarter cup of chopped pecans, and two Tablespoons of lime juice. Once your squash is done, turn them over so they're cut side up, sprinkle them with salt, and fill them with the stuffing; sprinkle the top with brown sugar. Return to the oven and cook for another ten minutes or until the stuffing is nice and hot.
Will and I both enjoyed it, but because I accidentally used seasoned salt instead of plain iodized salt, it was a bit bland. I will have to experiment further to make this dish the tastiest it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment