Monday, November 19, 2012

Splurge Night:Shells With Jalapeno Cheddar Sauce

I went to a school where we were allowed to bring microwave meals to school and heat them up in a microwave at lunch. One of my favorites was Michelina's shells with jalapeno cheddar sauce. Last year I caught myself craving it, so I decided to engineer the sauce from scratch and serve it. It has since become a quick fix since we always have the ingredients handy.
First, cook the shells according to the package directions. While the pasta's cooking, put about a cup and a half of cream in a pan and gently heat. Grate in enough cheddar to make a pale yellow, thickened sauce. Be careful not to add too much; if you do, it will be very grainy and overall unpleasant. Once your sauce is thickened, add canned minced jalapeno slices to taste; usually I add a whole can, but since Will's ulcer was bothering him, we only added a quarter of a three ounce can of jalapeno slices. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it, put it in a bowl, and pour the sauce over it; toss the pasta to coat it in the sauce.
Will and I served this with the last of the tamales, which worked really well. He took a taste of the sauce while he was stirring it so it wouldn't scorch while I sliced the jalapenos and said it was the best cheddar sauce I've ever made. He found out one way to improve the flavor of the sauce, which is to add a little seasoned salt. It definitely accentuates the flavor of the jalapenos.

No comments:

Post a Comment