Friday, November 9, 2012

Green Chili Casserole With Calabacitas: My Biggest Success Yet

Whenever I make enchiladas, I always get more than I need. This way if I wind up with leftovers or stale reject tortillas, I can use them to make green chili casserole, a staple among my family. My grandmother has made it for years, my mother started making it and added her own little twists, and now it's my turn to add my own flair to it.
First I cook one chopped onion with paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and a touch of cayenne pepper until the onion is clear and fragrant. While my onions cook, I start to arrange my casserole itself. I tear up as many corn tortillas as will cover the bottom of my casserole dish, add one can each of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups, half a container of low fat sour cream, two small cans of diced green chilies, and mix this together; if you use condensed soup, add half a can of milk to the casserole. Once the onions are ready, I add those too and again mix it together. Top with cheddar and cotija cheeses and bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
While that is baking, work on the calabacitas. Chop up some zucchini or Mexican grey squash and stick it in the same pan you cooked your onions in for the casserole. Add about a third of a large package of frozen corn, some plain all fat Greek yogurt, and some low fat milk; stir this together and cook until the squash is crisp-tender. Add a can of well drained roasted green chilies, oregano, and cheddar and cotija cheeses; use more cotija than cheddar and cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Once both dishes are done, let the casserole sit and least five minutes before serving.
Will raved that the casserole was my best attempt and that my calabacitas were better than his mother's. I will say I did a few things different; for one, I used a non-condensed tetra pack of cream of mushroom soup; I believe it was Pacific Foods brand. I also used half canned green chilies half jarred El Pinto brand and added cotija cheese to the topping.
My mother adds canned chicken to this, but I personally prefer the meatless version that my grandmother uses. The things I don't agree with either my mother or grandmother, however, are the onions, spices, and chilies; I don't like raw onions so I cook mine, the traditional spices are just salt and pepper so I added more spice to it, and neither my mother nor grandmother like spicy food so I add more chilies to it than they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment