Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Turkey Gumbo: A Holiday Favorite

I've been making this for the last five years after every Thanksgiving. Each year it's slightly different because I try something new each time I make it. Eventually I'll get it right, but for now, it's fun to experiment, and this blog will be a perfect medium to figure out what works and what doesn't.
First, I make the stock. Usually I only use one turkey carcass to make this, but this year I was given two carcasses and not enough celery to make two batches of stock. However, this turned out positive because it resulted in a very rich stock. Cut up your mire poix vegetables like you would for any other stock and add it to your carcass; cover the bones with water. Simmer this on medium to medium high for four to five hours adding only salt and pepper to taste; anything else will get bitter. Usually I cook this for eight to ten hours because that's when the meat between the vertebrae falls off the bone, but Will doesn't like finding bones because it reminds him that something died for his meal, so I made sure to get up as many bones as I could. The only parts I left in were the necks because the meat hadn't fallen off yet and the cervical vertebrae are bigger in birds than the thoracic or lumbar vertebrae. If you want extra flavor, add the giblets to the stock; I personally like to roast them and eat them straight, but that's just me. Also, don't forget to skim any fat that rises to the top of the stock; your stomach and waistline will thank you.
Once you pull out all the bones, add some extra water and rice; cook this, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked. Then add vegetables of your choice and seasoning; I add peas, carrots, corn, green beans, okra, sage, seasoned salt, and green Tobasco sauce, but you could add any combination of vegetables under the sun.
Will and I both agreed that I didn't add enough Tobasco to it, but that can be easily remedied when I reheat some later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment