Friday, November 16, 2012

Tamales With Cheese Crisp and Pico de Gallo

Will has been craving tamales for the last few months; while I would be willing to spend two or three days making tamales and my family has a recipe for them, I don't own a hard copy, so we settled with a package of frozen beef tamales from Deming, New Mexico. I was given two big things of tomatoes, too, and decided that, since Will also mentioned craving cheese crisps with pico de gallo, I would make some and satisfy that craving.
First, reheat your tamales; the microwave works best because trust me, there is no worse smell than burned corn husks. Next, make any sides you want with it; I had some leftover calabacitas that wound up freezing in my refrigerator, so we heated that on the stove, but rice, or refried beans would work really well.
To make a great cheese crisp, all you need is an oven heated to 350 degrees, a nice big tortilla, a baking stone that will accommodate said tortilla, and lots of cheese. Once your oven is preheated, pull out your baking stone; if it's brand new, season it by brushing it with olive oil the first few times you use it so it develops a patina; if it already has a patina on it, skip to the next step, which is putting the tortilla on the stone and placing it in the oven to crisp up, squishing any air bubbles with a turner as you see them. Once your tortilla is nice and crispy, cover the top with a mixture of cheddar and cotija cheeses and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the edges of the tortilla are golden brown.
While your cheese crisp is cooking, make your pico de gallo. This is a big batch, so if you want a smaller batch, just cut the portions down to size. I used both containers of tomatoes, diced, two diced onions, six seeded and chopped jalapenos, two handfuls of chopped fresh cilantro, salt to taste and the juice of one and a quarter large limes.
Will and I both loved the tamales, so we will definitely go with this company again the next time he craves tamales until I get my family's recipe. I will also have to keep an eye out for green corn tamales by the same company, since green corn ones are our favorites. For those of you who have never had tamales before, they are served in corn husks; these husks are inedible. Most Mexican restaurants in our area no longer serve them in the husks because tourists have eaten the husks and then complained about it, but there are a few places that serve them with the husks, so be on the lookout should you decide to eat them.
The cheese crisp and pico de gallo were both a huge success; I have some corn tortillas that will go stale if I don't do anything with them, so I may just make some homemade tortilla chips with them so we can continue to enjoy the pico de gallo.

No comments:

Post a Comment