Thursday, November 15, 2012

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers: Quicker to Make Than I Expected

I was given three yellow bell peppers by my parents. I racked my brain for ideas, and then I came up with stuffed peppers; neither of us have ever had meatless ones, so it was a great opportunity to play around with flavors and figure out what works.
First, take your bell peppers, cut off the tops, pull out the seeds, and cut out the white parts. Next, cook one cup of basmati rice; if you are trying to make it gluten free, do not use minute or instant rice because they can have wheat products in it.
Place 10 ounces of defrosted and drained spinach and two chopped tomatoes in a bowl. Cook one diced onion is a bit of oil until the onion is tender; if you want a bit more flavor, cook the onion just until it starts to brown. Add the onions to the spinach, along with the cooked rice, garlic powder, seasoned salt, two ounces of neufchatel cheese, and Parmesan cheese to taste. Spoon this into your hollowed out bell peppers and top them with a bit of grated mozzarella cheese.
Place the three of these in a baking dish that will allow them to have no room to fall over, but that you also don't have to pack them into. Cook them in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mixture is piping hot.
Will raved about how great the filling was. I have to admit, I was worried about the outcome, but it worked out really well and had a lot of flavor. Because we generally have most if not all of the ingredients for this handy and all I would need to buy are tomatoes and spinach, I will definitely use this as an inexpensive stand-by meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment